COS is certified by Good Shepherd Food Bank which partners with Feeding America. This association enables us to purchase food at modest costs and obtain perishable food from Hannaford Supermarket at no cost. COS serves the hungry in the Kennebunks in many ways. Our Food Programs filling the most basic needs – nourishing the body – are the food pantry, school lunches and snacks, and holiday food baskets.
COS Food Pantry
- Fresh and non-perishable foods available to any size family.
- Fruits, vegetables, meats, dairy, baked goods, and prepared meals donated from area stores, farms, and community gardens.
- Non-perishable vegetables, fruits, starches, soups & stews, canned meats, breakfast items, pasta dishes, beverages, and condiments
- Personal and Household items
- Pet food
- Food Pantry Hours (by appointment only – see below)
- Mondays: 12:00pm – 2:00pm
- Tuesdays: 3:00pm – 5:00pm
- Thursdays: 3:00pm – 5:00pm
- Fridays: 9:00am – 12:00pm
- Food Pantry Location
- Food Pantry Appointments
Individuals and businesses can support our food pantry by initiating food drives that will help stock our shelves for our food pantry. if you are interested in having a food drive, please contact us and we will be more than happy to work with you in setting that up.
Food 4 Thought Backpack Program
Here is some food for thought: Can you imagine what hunger; true excessive hunger can do to an adult let alone a child? Not only are there the physical symptoms of hunger such as depression and difficulty sleeping, but also the behavioral and educational symptoms as well.
In response to this need, a team of local businesses in the Kennebunks teamed up with Community Outreach Services (COS) of Kennebunk to develop a program to feed needy children in RSU 21. We call it the Food for Thought Backpack Program.
For more on the Food 4 Thought Backpack Program, click here.
School Snack Program
- Providing healthy snacks for hungry children in our schools.
- Single-serve healthy snacks for any hungry child in grades K – 12 in all RSU 21 schools.
- Juices and snacks for children in our schools with special dietary needs.
Summer Free Lunch Program
- Providing free lunches to children in RSU 21 schools who receive subsidized lunches during the school year.
- Delivery of prepared healthy lunches to participating children twice a week during summer vacation.
Holiday Food Basket Program
- For the residents in need from the towns of Kennebunk, Kennebunkport, and Arundel.
- Provides food baskets just before Thanksgiving and Christmas.
- Delivery of food boxes containing a turkey or chicken and other ingredients for a festive holiday dinner.
- Contact your town General Assistance office for more details or request using this form.