COS is certified by Good Shepherd Food Bank which partners with Feeding America. This association enables us to purchase food at modest costs and obtain “tired” perishable food from Hannaford SuperMarket at no cost. COS serves the hungry in the Kennebunks in many ways. Those Food Programs that are filling the most basic needs – nourishing the body – are the food pantry, produce pantry, voucher program, school snacks, summer free lunches, and holiday food baskets.
- provides boxes of non-perishable foods to any size family.
- provides food boxes available daily upon request to the General Assistance Offices of Kennebunk, Kennebunkport and Arundel.
- While the list of items needed may vary, here is a general list to follow: Mayo (smaller jars), canned ravioli, pancake syrup, instant mashed potatoes, canned hams(small ones), jello, instant puddings, canned vegetables, canned fruits, canned chicken/fish/meat, rice, beans, macaroni and cheese, pasta.
- provides perishable foods and baked goods donated from area stores, farms, and community gardens.
- the Produce Pantry is open every Friday at 9:00am, at St. Martha’s Parish Hall located at 30 Portland Rd, Kennebunk.
Individuals and businesses can support our food pantry by initiating food drives that will help stock our shelves for our food pantry. if you are interested in having a food drive, please contact us and we will be more than happy to work with you in setting that up.
Food 4 Thought Backpack Program
Here is some food for thought: Can you imagine what hunger; true excessive hunger can do to an adult let alone a child? Not only are there the physical symptoms of hunger such as depression and difficulty sleeping, but also the behavioral and educational symptoms as well.
In response to this need, a team of local businesses in the Kennebunks teamed up with Community Outreach Services (COS) of Kennebunk to develop a program to feed needy children in RSU 21. We call it the Food for Thought Backpack Program.
For more on the Food 4 Thought Backpack Program, click here.
- provides vouchers through the General Assistance offices of Kennebunk, Kennebunkport, Arundel.
- for perishable food, needed toiletries, baby and children supplies.
- redeemable only at the Kennebunk Hannaford Supermarket.
School Snack Program
- providing healthy snacks for hungry children in our schools.
- provide single-serve healthy snacks for any hungry child in grades K – 12 in all RSU 21 schools.
- provide juices and snacks for children in our schools with special dietary needs.
Summer Free Lunch Program
- providing free lunches to children in RSU 21 schools who receive subsidized lunches during the school year.
- providing delivery of prepared healthy lunches to participating children twice a week during summer vacation.
Holiday Food Basket Program
- for the residents in need from the towns of Kennebunk, Kennebunkport, and Arundel.
- provides food baskets just before Thanksgiving and Christmas.
- delivery of food boxes containing a turkey or chicken and other ingredients for a festive holiday dinner.